Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Court sets date for new hearing in Bandith case

Court sets date for new hearing in Bandith case

Court sets date for new hearing in Bandith case

The Appeal Court has set a hearing date in a case against former Bavet town Governor Chhouk Bandith, who stands accused of shooting three protesting garment workers last year.

In December, the Svay Rieng Provincial Court dropped charges against the official, only to see the case taken up by the Appeal Court prosecutor general, who called for a reinvestigation. The February 27 hearing will determine whether Bandith should, in fact, be charged for the February 2012 shooting.

“We will hold a public hearing so that all related parties can participate. None will miss it,” said Prosecutor General Ouk Savuth.

Three women were injured when a gunman opened fire during the protest of more than 6,000 workers employed at four factories at the Manhattan Special Economic Zone.

While eyewitnesses fingered Bandith, and he was implicated by none other than Minister of Interior Sar Kheng, it took two months before a widely derided
charge of causing unintentional injury was levied on him.

The case then languished for months, bouncing between the prosecutor and investigating judge, before charges were ultimately dropped. A second man, Bavet town police chief Sar Chanta, was named the sole suspect. In a rare move, higher court officials intervened just days later, appealing the dropped charge and insisting the case be transferred.  

Buot Chenda, 21, who was shot in the lung while calling for better working conditions, said yesterday she was relieved to hear a date had been set.

“I’m very happy that the Appeal Court will hear our case, because I have been waiting a long time,” she said. Chenda and two other plaintiffs are seeking $45,000 each for injuries sustained in the shooting.

Rights monitors, who have long criticised the court’s handling of the case, expressed tentative hope that the case at last appeared to be moving forward.

“I believe they will find justice for the victims if the court is independent,” said Moeun Tola, head of the labour program at the Community Legal Education Center.

 

To contact the reporter on this story: May Titthara at [email protected]
 

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Government approves plan to relocate Phnom Penh’s airport

    The government has signed off on a proposal to build a new airport to serve Phnom Penh and has earmarked land in Kandal province for the $1.5 billion project. A new international airport to replace the existing Phnom Penh International Airport will be constructed on partially

  • American convicted of raping boy, 10, in Siem Reap

    A 79-year-old American man was sentenced to one year in prison for raping a 10-year-old boy by Siem Reap Provincial Court on Wednesday. John Paul Zollbrecht, of Washington state, was sentenced to one year in prison while a Cambodian man who helped facilitate the abuse, 23

  • PM derides talk of government affairs, hinting phone records could reveal all

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday night told Cambodia’s starlets to either name their high-profile government lovers or keep quiet, telling a room full of journalists he did not want to be tarred with the same brush. Addressing more than 3,400 people at the second