CPP lawmaker and National Assembly spokesman Chheang Vun said yesterday that he would join a protest Sunday calling for a public apology from opposition party leader Kem Sokha for allegedly denying the existence of notorious torture centre S-21.
But Vun backed away from local media reports stating that he said CPP lawmakers were going en masse.
“I don’t know about the other CPP officials, but whether they will join or not I have to join and release my anger,” said Vun.
S-21 survivor and victim’s association president Chum Mey said he had received permission from City Hall for the demonstration yesterday.
Mey has said he expects more than 20,000 people to show up for the mass demonstration, which will move from Freedom Park to CNRP headquarters early Sunday morning. Despite the political undertones, as well as the backing off fellow S-21 survivor, Bou Meng, Mey has insisted his march was not brokered by the CPP.
Last week, a recording surfaced in which Sokha can be heard saying that Tuol Sleng was “staged,” a statement he has since denied making and insisted was taken out of context.