Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Deminers to be sent to Sudan

Deminers to be sent to Sudan

Cambodia is set to send a new contingent of deminers to Sudan this year, the sixth group to assist in operations in the conflict ridden country, officials said Tuesday.

Sem Sovanny, director general of Institute for Peace Keeping Force, Mine and ERW (Explosive Remnants of War) Clearance, said that Cambodia plans to send more than 50 Royal Cambodian Armed Forces deminers to Sudan this year. He said: “The plan is to send the same amount of forces as we sent last year.”

Suong Khunny, deputy director general of the institute, said that in June last year, Cambodia sent 52 people to Sudan.  

Sem Sovanny said as that new group is scheduled to replace the previous group at the end of June or early July.

“However, the exact date of their return has not yet been set,” he added.

Cambodia has sent some 520 peacekeepers to Sudan on five missions since 2006. Peacekeepers from RCAF have also participated in mission in Chad, the Central African Republic and Lebanon.

Taing Bunkry, who led a group of 52 deminers to Sudan from June 2009 to June 2010, said he will be happy if he was required to go to Sudan again.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

‘Why hold a trial if you’re not going to summon the accused?’

Cambodia National Rescue Party supporters gathered outside the Appeal Court in Phnom Penh early this morning in support of imprisoned party leader Kem Sokha.

Behind the scenes of the princess's ballet

Post Weekend in collaboration with Le Petit Journal - Cambodge got an exclusive look behind the scenes of the Royal Ballet of Cambodia, as they travelled to Hong Kong for their debut in the ci