CIVIL SERVICE REFORM
A subdecree was issued which removes the names of civil servants from the list of
staff: 3,063 for leave without reason, 581 deceased, 560 retired, and 1,887 transferred.
- Subdecree 53 on Removal of the Names of Civil Servants from the Staff (August
The RGC creates a Group composed of Bith Seang Lim as chair, Ung Vuthy, Lonh Hai,
Ly Phana, and Mey Van as members. It is to study and draft the law and subdecree
on stock and bond markets, make contact with relevant government institutions and
private sector for exchange of ideas and experiences and with international organizations
to solicit assistance, and report to the Office of Council of Ministers.
- Decision 46 (RGC) on Creation of a Working Group for Preparation of Law and Sub-Decree
on Stock and Bond Markets in Cambodia (July 5, 2000)
- Royal Decree NS/RKT/0700/128 on Appointment of HE Chhuon Chan Chhaya to be Personal
Advisor of HE Nhiek Bun Chhay with the rank of Undersecretary of State (July 19,
- Royal Decree NS/RKT/0700/127 on Appointment of HE Kem Sokhon to be Personal Advisor
of HE Nhiek Bun Chhay with the rank of Undersecretary of State (July 19, 2000)
- Decision 43 (RGC) on Appointment of Oknha Ly Yong Phat to be Special Envoy of
Samdech Hun Sen in Charge of Development of Koh Kong Province (June 23, 2000)
- Royal Decree NS/RKT/0800/143 on Granting Khmer Nationality to Mr Gnan Shun Kwing
Ben, Canadian Citizen Born in China in 1952 (August 2, 2000)
- Royal Decree NS/RKT/0700/130 on Granting Khmer Nationality to Mr Ghotbi Ferydoon,
English Citizen Born in Iran in 1957 (July 22, 2000)
- Royal Decree NS/RKT/0800/144 on Granting Khmer Nationality to Mr Yan Suen Ching,
English Citizen Born in China in 1955 (August 2, 2000)
The Ministry of Economy and Finance informed Minister of Commerce that the Ministry
of Economy and Finance approved in principle the transfer of some immovable properties
(land, building, and warehouse) from Siem Reap Provincial Office of Commerce to Oddar
Meanchey Provincial Office of Commerce.
- Letter 3478 (MEF) re: Request for Transfer Some Immovable Properties from Inventory
of Siem Reap Provincial Office of Commerce to Oddor Meanchey Provincial Office of
Commerce (September 1, 2000)
The Municipality informed the motor boat owners operating in Phnom Penh geographical
area to limit the speed to 20 kilometers per hour to avoid damaging the river banks.
- Announcement 85 (MPP) re: Speed Limit for Motor Boats in Phnom Penh Rivers (August
The letter informed Co-Ministers of Interior of the confiscation of smuggled goods,
boats, and weapons. It also requested the Ministry of Interior to look for and expose
those carrying the weapons for protection of the smuggling activities.
- Letter 3475 (MEF) re: Suppression of Smuggling Activities at Chrey Thom Customs
Post (August 31, 2000)
A Committee was established to oversee the protection of Natural Areas, composed
of Mok Maret as chair, Keang Vang and Chan Tong Yves as deputy chairs, Ly Thuch,
Pol Saroeun, Hok Lundy, Sao Sokha, Sin Sarun, Sisovath Chivanarith, Oum Bunthoeun,
and Keo Khemra as members.
- Decision 49 (RGC) on Creation of a National Committee for Consultation and Solution
on Management of Protected Natural Areas (July 24, 2000)
The Ministry of Agriculture shall continue to monitor, report, and crack down on
the offences committed in provinces/municipalities and conduct aerial monitoring
over forest concessions and other areas to determine the offences and take measures
to suppress them on time.
- Announcement 1365 (COM) re: Report on Monitoring the Forest Offences Committed
in Second Quarter of 2000 (August 10, 2000)
After discussion, there was no clear answer to whether police officers are civil
servants or under the military. Some attendants explain that they are civil servants
with the right to bear arms, use force, etc. Therefore, there should be a special
statute. The Draft was sent back to the Ministry of Interior for further review.
- Minute 09 (COM) re: Outcome of Inter-ministerial Meeting on Draft Royal Decree
on General Statute of Cambodian National Police Officers (August 14, 2000)
A vehicle tax shall be collected from September 15 to December 15, 2000. Beginning
December 16, 2000, the inspection on tax payment shall be conducted. The tax exemption
is extended to emergency vehicles and fire trucks, means of transportation that belong
to Royal Cambodian Armed Forces, Military Police, National Police, embassies, consulates,
organizations or individuals with diplomatic or consular statutes.
- Prakas 016 (MEF) on Collection of Tax on Means of Transportation for Year 2000
(August 31, 2000)
This Weekly Law Update is produced from material provided by Dirksen Flipse Doran
and Le (DFDL). It has been edited for publication. A full version is available via