Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Energy Ministry to decentralise licensing miners

A woman pans for gold in Preah Vihear at a mine
A woman pans for gold in Preah Vihear at a mine this year. On Friday, the Ministry of Mines and Energy officially made provincial authorities responsible for the issuing of small-scale mining licences. Heng Chivoan

Energy Ministry to decentralise licensing miners

The Ministry of Mines and Energy has decided to decentralise the process for small-scale miners and dredgers to obtain licences, with the government now permitting provincial authorities to directly issue licences to operators without ministerial oversight.

Speaking at a meeting on the new measures, Dith Tina, a secretary of state at the ministry, said the decision to transfer authority over artisanal miners to the country’s 25 provinces was issued on April 3.

“If we ask small-scale mine operators to apply for licences through the ministry, such a procedure would take too long and not be effective,” he said. “We think the provincial and district [authorities] are capable of handling these duties.”

Tina added that the ministry would hold workshops and training programs aimed at promoting safety and environmental protection.

Under the new regulations, small-scale mining operations are defined as: open mines that take up no more than 1 hectare of land and dig no more than 5 metres, and underground miners who operate at a depth of no more than 20 metres under the surface.

Meng Saktheara, another secretary of state for the ministry, said that provincial mining authorities will have the right to monitor, review and evaluate artisanal mining operations once they are registered.

“Each [provincial mining] director will be required to send a licence request to the provincial governor,” he said. “If a governor does not agree [to grant the licence], the director will have to report to the ministry for a final decision.”

However, since these new guidelines were presented, concerns have been raised over how provincial authorities will be able to manage the new
responsibilities.

Sihanoukville Deputy Govenror Heng Sam Ath said his jurisdiction may face challenges in trying to halt illegal sand miners since there has been little cooperation from the local population. He said there were “many” illegal sand miners in the area, but that it was difficult to identify them.

Saktheara, however, said many local miners are happy to comply with the new provisions. He added that the process aimed to help illegal miners transition into the formal sector. “The main focus is to facilitate local miners . . . to apply for a licence,” he said. “There is no need to hide themselves; they have rights like other mining companies.”

Cambodians for Resource Revenue Transparency executive director Kim Natacha said that the move seems like a step in the right direction.

“We support better regulation in terms of safety, supervision monitoring and training,” she said. “[Just] as long as communities are able to make a living and they are not creating environmental hazards.”

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Phnom Penh eats: Homegrown veggies at Bayon Beoung Snor

​Nestled along National Road 1, Bayon Beoung Snor is a farm-cum-restaurant. The team grows their own vegetables, which they then use to whip up traditional Khmer food.

Bill Clough reflects on The Phnom Penh Post's 25 year history

The Post's publisher Bill Clough, under whose leadership the publication went from a fortnightly to a daily one, discusses his investment in Cambodia, his vision for the paper in an increasingly digital age,

People search for their names on the voter lists at a polling station in Kampong Cham’s Veal Vong commune earlier this month.

Four years ago, when the opposition snatched Kampong Cham away from the ruling party in 2013 national elections, it hinted at a deeper shift taking

Comfrel Executive Director Koul Panha speaks to the press at a meeting yesterday in Phnom Penh.

As the National Election Committee launched into the recount proc