Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Eviction of beach businesses begins at Ochheuteal

Eviction of beach businesses begins at Ochheuteal

Flattened makeshift stalls litter the ground after they were torn down by authorities on Saturday at Ochheuteal Beach. Photo supplied
Flattened makeshift stalls litter the ground after they were torn down by authorities on Saturday at Ochheuteal Beach. Photo supplied

Eviction of beach businesses begins at Ochheuteal

Fourteen business owners from Ochheuteal Beach in Sihanoukville plan to file official complaints after provincial joint forces pulled down their stores over the weekend as authorities finally began the long-planned – and controversial – eviction of beachside businesses.

On Saturday, 100 personnel led by the deputy governor of Sihanoukville used excavators to destroy the 14 beachfront stores, each belonging to a local family. The operation finally made good on the government’s warning last month that it will demolish more than 100 businesses located on Ochheuteal, Otres and Royal beaches if they don’t clear out by March 13.

Despite having advance notice, Phoeuk Sokhen, the representative of the beach’s small business community, said that authorities ploughed ahead without allowing the business owners a chance to reach an agreement with the local government.

“It is unfair. They used forces to intimidate and insult people, to send them to jail and they wanted to burn down the properties,” said Sokhen. “We will not leave the land; we will sleep under the trees since we have not received any solution.”

The 14 owners and their families plan to deliver petitions to the prime minister and the Ministry of Land Management after Khmer New Year. According to Sokhen, authorities offered compensation of $3,500 per store, which he said would not be enough to set up business elsewhere.

Provincial Governor Yun Min said removing the stores will improve the public beach before the holiday and the operation was approved by a national committee. “This beach has been banned from selling for years,” said Min. “Previously, we have provided [the holdouts] with [compensation] policies and some of them agreed to take it, but others did not.”

Businesses on Royal and Otres will be pulled down later, he said, but did not say when.

Douglas McColl, the vice president of Sihanoukville Tourism Association said that the demolition finally drove home the point that the government is serious about clearing the beaches of businesses. “The real question is what they are going to do later – can you re-lease on the waterfront, and under what conditions?”

Provincial officials did not comment on future leasing terms yesterday.

Buon Narith, the provincial coordinator of Licadho, said he was disappointed in the authorities’ rush to pull down the stores, saying it was motivated by the desire to rent out the location to a Thai concert company.

“The authorities should understand [the business owners] and let them run their businesses during Khmer New Year,” he said. “They should let them pull down their stores by themselves.”

He added that if the authorities force the vendors to move out, the tourism service for international visitors could suffer.

Additional reporting by Igor Kossov

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all