Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Expansion of Beehive shot down

Expansion of Beehive shot down

Information Minister Khieu Kanharith yesterday shot down a recent request from Beehive Radio director Mam Sonando for a TV licence and increased radio reach, saying that there was simply no more bandwidth to go around.

In a letter to Din Phannara, acting director of Beehive – one of the country’s only independent broadcasters – Kanharith states that “the Information Ministry regrets that it does not have any radio and television frequency to provide as per your request”.

Houn Phannary, Sonando’s assistant, maintained yesterday that Beehive, which is often critical of the government, had been singled out for unfair treatment.

“I think it is so unfair to Beehive Radio station that the other radio and television stations can expand their frequencies or stations, but not our station,” she said.

According to Phannary, Sonando has sent a letter to the Phnom Penh governor to inform him of his intention to protest the decision.

“We will protest in front of the Information Ministry on January 27,” she said, adding that about 200 protesters were expected to join.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Phnom Penh eats: Homegrown veggies at Bayon Beoung Snor

​Nestled along National Road 1, Bayon Beoung Snor is a farm-cum-restaurant. The team grows their own vegetables, which they then use to whip up traditional Khmer food.

Bill Clough reflects on The Phnom Penh Post's 25 year history

The Post's publisher Bill Clough, under whose leadership the publication went from a fortnightly to a daily one, discusses his investment in Cambodia, his vision for the paper in an increasingly digital age,