Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Explosive order: Fireworks a no-no for New Year

Explosive order: Fireworks a no-no for New Year

Phnom Penh Municipal hall yesterday issued a directive banning firecrackers, fireworks and all kinds of explosives during Chinese-Vietnamese New Year celebrations from January 22 to 25.

The direction, signed by Phnom Penh governor Kep Chuktema, orders authorities to strengthen safety, security and public order during the lunar new year.

“From now on, the authorities at all levels have to take firm measures against the import of fireworks, firecrackers and all kinds of explosives into Phnom Penh, and they have to seize those banned materials if they are sold in Phnom Penh,” Kep Chuktema said.

The directive also reiterated a strong stance against illegal, unlicensed gambling.

“If someone violates the directive to cause disorder in society, they will be punished through the law,” Kep Chuktema, adding that district and commune officials must broadcast the directive widely so people were well informed.

Vann Nary, Phnom Penh Municipal deputy police chief, said yesterday that police officials always protected the safety, security and public order in Phnom Penh, but paid closer attention to protection during Chinese-Vietnamese New Year.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Phnom Penh eats: Homegrown veggies at Bayon Beoung Snor

​Nestled along National Road 1, Bayon Beoung Snor is a farm-cum-restaurant. The team grows their own vegetables, which they then use to whip up traditional Khmer food.

Bill Clough reflects on The Phnom Penh Post's 25 year history

The Post's publisher Bill Clough, under whose leadership the publication went from a fortnightly to a daily one, discusses his investment in Cambodia, his vision for the paper in an increasingly digital age,

People search for their names on the voter lists at a polling station in Kampong Cham’s Veal Vong commune earlier this month.

Four years ago, when the opposition snatched Kampong Cham away from the ruling party in 2013 national elections, it hinted at a deeper shift taking

Comfrel Executive Director Koul Panha speaks to the press at a meeting yesterday in Phnom Penh.

As the National Election Committee launched into the recount proc