Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Factory trouble: Workers sent home, to hospital

Factory trouble: Workers sent home, to hospital

Seven garment workers were allowed to go home and another six sent back to hospital after they returned to work at a factory in Sihanoukville yesterday where 201 workers fainted or suffered headaches and dizziness on Monday, officials said.

Yov Khemara, director of the provincial labour department, said yesterday that he suggested to the Nanguo Garment factory that the workers return home or receive treatment.

“Those 13 were very weak and cannot perform work,” he said.

Pok Vanthat, a health official who heads an inter-ministerial committee tasked with preventing fainting incidents told the Post this week that 201 workers had been affected on Monday by poor ventilation and too many working hours.

Yov Khemara said that 30 had fainted.

Employees who had not yet returned to work were concerned their salaries would be cut.

“I heard the factory will cut [our] money,” Chhay Trak said.

Factory representatives could not be reached for comment.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Bodies of Cambodian peacekeepers returned to Kingdom

The bodies of four Cambodian peacekeepers killed by a Christian militia in Central African Republic were repatriated to the Kingdom and honoured in an airport ceremony on May 21.

Phnom Penh eats: Ptas Nak Battambang

As the name suggests, Ptsa Nak Battambang – which in English means Battambang's house – is the right place for those who want to try some of the province's typical dishes in Phnom Penh.

People drive past an advertisement for beer.

Prime Minister Hun Sen issued a directive on Friday banning the sale and consumption of alcohol on June 3 and 4 to prevent unrest during commune el

Military police stand guard outside a polling station that was allegedly prematurely closed to eligible voters during the 2013 general election in Kandal province. Photo supplied

The Ministry of Defence on Friday lashed out at civil society and election monitoring groups, claiming a