Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Fainting factory dispute

Fainting factory dispute

Fainting factory dispute

The Kampong Chhnang provincial labour department has agreed to mediate an ongoing dispute between workers at a garment factory in the province and their employer over alleged violations of the Labour Law.

Pov Sitha, director of the provincial labour department, said workers at the M&V International Manufacturing facility submitted a letter late last month to him saying the company was violating 16 points of the Labour Law. They also asked him to intervene, he said.

However, when he invited them to meet with him and company representatives on Friday they refused to attend, he said, adding that he  had invited them to meet with him on Thursday.

“I will try my best to settle the dispute. If I cannot, I will forward it to the ministry to send to the Arbitration Council,” Pov Sitha said.  

The factory was hit by two mass fainting incidents in August, which prompted an investigation by one of its main buyers: H&M.

The factory employs about 4,000 workers and has several active unions. In October, the Free Trade Union led a strike at the factory, claiming that M&V had fired workers trying to form an FTU branch there.

Company officials said, however, that the worker’s contracts had not been renewed because there was no work for them.

Meas Sokhen, FTU vice-president at the factory, said the 16 points it wanted ad­dressed included canceling short-term contracts, ensuring that all overtime is voluntary and allowing workers to bring their own meals to the factory if they had to work overtime.

Yin Nak, M&V’s administrative chief in Phnom Penh, said the company had already met the demands made in the complaint and wanted to settle the dispute at Thursday’s meeting. “The union keeps pushing for new demands because it wants to get more members in the factory,” he said.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Government approves plan to relocate Phnom Penh’s airport

    The government has signed off on a proposal to build a new airport to serve Phnom Penh and has earmarked land in Kandal province for the $1.5 billion project. A new international airport to replace the existing Phnom Penh International Airport will be constructed on partially

  • American convicted of raping boy, 10, in Siem Reap

    A 79-year-old American man was sentenced to one year in prison for raping a 10-year-old boy by Siem Reap Provincial Court on Wednesday. John Paul Zollbrecht, of Washington state, was sentenced to one year in prison while a Cambodian man who helped facilitate the abuse, 23

  • Cambodia: From pet project to problem child

    As international condemnation began to pour in earlier this month lambasting the Supreme Court’s decision to dissolve the country’s largest opposition party, ruling party elites were quick to ask: Why us? In an op-ed published by the Khmer Times, ruling Cambodian People’s