Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Families accept redress

Families accept redress

The families of three people killed after a lift cable snapped at a construction site in the capital last week have accepted compensation from the company and will not press charges.

Moeung Savun, the father of 18-year-old Van Saroeun, a worker killed in the accident, said yesterday that a company lawyer had paid $2,300 in compensation at Toul Tompoung II commune police station on Saturday.

He said the family of Meas Seurn, 20, another worker that was killed, received the same, while the family of a coffee seller who was also killed received about half the amount.

“My son’s life is worth more than this money, but it was an accident,” Savun said, adding it would be enough to cover a planned funeral in Prey Veng province.

Ath Kandol, 18, lost an arm in the incident and remains at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital. His father Nhem Oeng said that the family had received $8,000 from the company.

“He was a student. I didn’t want him to work at the construction site, but he secretly came [to work] since before Khmer New Year,” he said.

Construction at the Chamkarmon district site was suspended on Friday by authorities.



Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Turkish Embassy calls for closure of Zaman schools

With an attempted coup against the government of President Recep Erdogan quashed only days ago and more than 7,000 alleged conspirators now under arrest, the Turkish ambassador to Cambodia yesterday pressed the govern

CNRP lawmakers beaten

Two opposition lawmakers, Nhay Chamroeun and Kong Sakphea were beaten unconscious during protests in Phnom Penh, as over a thousand protesters descended upon the National Assembly.

Student authors discuss "The Cambodian Economy"

Student authors discuss "The Cambodian Economy"

Students at Phnom Penh's Liger Learning Center have written and published a new book, "The Cambodian Economy".