Cambodian government officials have opened an investigation into accusations that Hanshin, a Korean construction company, breached contract by failing to follow safety regulations after two brothers were killed when they drove off an unfinished bridge in a Hanshin construction zone last week.
Authorities have said Hanshin had not provided adequate warning signs, and the Ministry of Public Works inspected the site of the accident on Thursday.
Kong Bunthoeun, a technical director at the ministry, said the government did not want to terminate the contract but noted there are concerns about “safety and quality of work”.
“We will give them a week, and if they don’t change, we will decide how to deal with them,” Bunthoeun added.
Lin Ju-heon, the planning manager for Hanshin, maintained yesterday that the company did nothing wrong and plans to continue working.
Although he said there were adequate warning signs on the bridge, the company did compensate the victims’ family.
A deputy district police chief last week told the Post that a warning sign had been removed prior to the accident.