Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Fateful meal: Girl, 6, dies after eating staple food

Fateful meal: Girl, 6, dies after eating staple food

A 6-year-old girl died and five girls became seriously ill after eating cassava with their family on Friday morning, Kampong Chhnang officials said.

The girls’ aunt had cooked cassava harvested from the plantation she worked on and shared the dish with 14 members of her family. None of the adults got sick.

“At about 5pm on the same day, the six girls, aged between 4 and 7, started vomiting,” Seng Dy, police chief in Boribor district’s Chhnok Trou commune, said yesterday.

The girls were referred to the provincial hospital, where 6-year-old Lai Chanlis died. Only her 4-year-old sister remains hospitalised.

According to Seng Dy, the family ate the cassava because they are poor and didn’t know the plant could be poisonous.

Cassava, a staple starch in much of the world, can cause cyanide poisoning if not prepared properly. However, a cause of death has yet to be confirmed, according to the Sorin Ravuthy, director of the referral hospital.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

ACLEDA’s boss on how tech is changing financial services

In today’s world of fast-changing technology, Cambodia is seeing increasing innovation in financial services.

ACLEDA President In Channy on the key to the bank’s success

Post Khmer Editor-in-Chief Kay Kimsong sat down with Dr In Channy, President and Group Managing Director of ACLEDA Bank Plc, to explore the main principle guiding Cambodia’s biggest bank.

A taste of Phnom Penh's first container night market

At the launch of Phnom Penh's newest market, The Post spoke to customers and stallholders about what the hub of bars, food stalls, shops and live music will add to the city's nightlife.