An electrical malfunction sparked a fire yesterday that gutted a Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC) building in Battambang, causing hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage, officials said.
The fire, in Ochar commune, began at about 6am, after a nearby office building, also owned by CMAC, began burning, provincial deputy police chief Chet Vanny said.
“One car was destroyed in the garage for cars and spare parts but [the building is] not where [demining] weaponry is stocked,” Vanny said.
Heng Ratana, CMAC’s general director, said the building was “not where mine detectors are [stored] or repaired”.
“We estimate that the car along with other losses of material will amount to between $300,000 to $400,000,” he said.