Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Fire guts Siem Reap shop

Fire guts Siem Reap shop

Faulty electrical wiring was responsible for setting a jewellery shop ablaze in front of the Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra resort late Monday night, Siem Reap provincial police said.

Polygram Jewelry Shop, located along Angkor Wat road in Siem Reap town, began burning at about 11:30pm due to an electrical problem in the store, provincial deputy police chief Thoeung Chendarith said.

“The fire started in the shop when everyone was off of work, but firemen used seven trucks to battle the blaze for about an hour,” he said.

No one was injured.

Long Dy, 22, told the Post yesterday that he could see smoke and flames on Monday from the balcony of his home located behind the jewellery shop.

“I ran to the front of the shop when the fire was just starting, but it spread quickly.… The heat was intense, so I did what I could and helped other people pour water on parts of the shop,” Dy said.

The owner of Polygram Jewelry could not be reached for comment.

Faulty electrical wiring was also blamed for starting a fire at Siem Reap’s Doeum Kralanh market on July 7, causing damages exceeding $1 million.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Cambodia's last tile masters: Why a local craft is under threat

Brought over by the French, painted cement tile making has been incorporated into Cambodian design for more than a century, even as the industry has died out in Europe.

Interview: Loung Ung, author of First They Killed My Father

The story of Loung Ung and her family’s suffering under the Khmer Rouge became known around the world with the success of her autobiographical book, First They Killed My Father.

Setting up a drone for flight. Photo supplied

How Cambodia's first drone company is helping farmers

SM Waypoint claims its unmanned aerial vehicles can help local farm and plantation owners increase their yields.