A woman and three youths from Kampong Speu province remained in hospital yesterday after being seriously burned in a fireworks accident on Friday, police said.
Khim Sophanra, Korng Pisey district chief of police, said an explosion occurred after “careless” preparation in an area of Veal commune’s Prey Sdach village where up to 30 families are in the business of making fireworks.
“Before the accident, the victims were mixing the explosives in order to make fireworks,” he said.
“We have sent our officials to educate them about making fireworks carelessly. Some have already decided to stop doing business in fireworks.”
Hai Keoun, whose 53-year-old mother, Nhem Sem, had been taken to Preah Kossamak Hospital in Phnom Penh with the other victims, said doctors had indicated that all four victims would stay in hospital at least another week.
“I think the conditions of my mother and my younger brother are not so bad, [and] I hope they will be leaving hospital soon,” Keoun said.
The three youths were heavily bandaged from head to toe, while Sem was bandaged on her right hand and face, he added.