Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - First H5N1 case of 2014 reported

First H5N1 case of 2014 reported

A 5-year-old boy has tested positive for avian influenza, making the toddler the first reported case this year, the Ministry of Health and the World Health Organization said yesterday.

The boy, from Kampong Thom province’s Stung Sen district, was confirmed positive for the H5N1 virus on Sunday, the statement said.

The boy is in a stable condition after being admitted to the Jayavarman VII Hospital in Siem Reap town.

A government investigation into the case revealed that 200 chickens had mysteriously died in the boy’s village in mid-January, after which his parents had prepared the expired birds to eat.

“I urge parents and guardians to keep children away from sick or dead poultry and prevent them from playing with chickens or ducks,” Minister of Health Mam Bunheng said in the statement.

At least 22 cases of bird flu were recorded in Cambodia last year, according to the Ministry of Health.



Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Floating away

Floating away

An ethnically Vietnamese community that has lived on the water in Phnom Penh for decades is given three weeks notice to cut their houses loose.

Provincial fried rat

Provincial fried rat; the new organic fad?

Cambodian exporters have found an unlikely selling point for their rodents - hygiene.

Chea Sim cremated

Chea Sim cremated

King sends off late Cambodian People's Party president