Subscribe Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Five more die of diarrhoea in Ratanakkiri

Five more die of diarrhoea in Ratanakkiri

Five more die of diarrhoea in Ratanakkiri

FIVE people have died from acute watery diarrhoea in Ratanakkiri province since Sunday, prompting around 10 families to flee into the forest to escape the disease, local officials said.

Pev Vil, the chief of Lbung 1 commune in Lumphat district, said two people died from the illness in Katoeng village on Sunday and three on Monday, and that an additional four villagers were receiving treatment at Lumphat district hospital.

“The first death was a 6-year-old boy who got sick on his family’s farm and died shortly afterward. After that, more people got sick and died,” he said.

He added that the villagers had been unable to reach the hospital in time because of the poor condition of the 20-kilometre stretch of road between the village and the provincial capital, Banlung.

Pev Vil said “uncooked water” and “bad food” had caused diarrhoea and vomiting.

Tha Bunthak, deputy director of the Ratanakkiri provincial health department, said there have been 1,072 acute watery diarrhoea cases and 28 deaths in the province since April 10 this year.

He said samples from the victims had not yet been sent to the Ministry of Health’s Department of Communicable Disease Control for testing, despite speculation on the part of some villagers and officials that cholera has hit the area.

“I don’t think it is cholera. In the past, we have sent many samples for testing, but the results always show that it was just a case of acute watery diarrhoea,” he said.

He called on the group of families that fled to the forest to return home so that health officials can provide treatment should any of them fall ill with diarrhoea.

“These people could face even more health problems because they have run off into the forest – because there they won’t have clean water or clean food,” he said.

Kert Sina, director of the Mondulkiri provincial health department, said that since May the province has seen more than 20 cases of acute watery diarrhoea and two related deaths.

“We do not have a serious problem with diarrhoea here. One or two cases are sent to the hospital almost every day, but we have the situation under control,” he said.

Sok Touch, director of the Department of Communicable Disease Control, declined to comment on Tuesday.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Thy Sovantha threatens new suit

    Social media celebrity and card-carrying CPP member Thy Sovantha yesterday said she will file a lawsuit against wildlife NGO head Suwanna Gauntlett alleging discrimination after the latter allegedly denied her access to an ecotourism program the group is launching today in Koh Kong province. The

  • Police raid Siem Reap party, arrest 10 foreigners over ‘pornographic’ images

    A group of 10 foreign tourists appeared in court today after being arrested for producing “pornographic” photos in Siem Reap town on Thursday, while dozens more were detained temporarily and let go after being lectured on their behaviour, according to authorities. A report posted to the

  • Hun Sen’s in-law removed from RCAF after cockfighting rings raided

    Thai Phany, the nephew-in-law of Prime Minister Hun Sen who is accused of running two large cockfighting rings, has been removed as a general in the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces. Phany, formerly a one-star brigadier general, was removed by royal decree on December 19, according to

  • Government approves plan to relocate Phnom Penh’s airport

    The government has signed off on a proposal to build a new airport to serve Phnom Penh and has earmarked land in Kandal province for the $1.5 billion project. A new international airport to replace the existing Phnom Penh International Airport will be constructed on partially