SIEM REAP – Private companies will bid on the right to build a costly drainage system in Siem Reap beginning in April, in an effort to prevent the type of flooding that deluged the city after Typhoon Ketsana in October. In a presentation to six construction company representatives and relevant officials in Siem Reap on Wednesday, Thierry Dalimier, managing director of Kosan Engineering, said that the project will start in April and be finished by September 30, 2011. In his presentation, Dalimier, an adviser to the Siem Reap province Project Management Unit (PMU), showed that eight 180-metre drains will be constructed on the east side of the Siem Reap River. “We can’t wait any longer because many are suffering from the flooding,” he said. Construction plans must be finished and submitted to the PMU by February 22, he added. Bun Tharith, Siem Reap province deputy governor, said that authorities will be taking bids on the drainage system project, which will be funded by a US$4 million grant from the Agence Francaise de Developpement. “This will help prevent water from flooding Siem Reap like last year,” Bun Tharith said.