The following are general precautionary measures developed by the ASEAN Secretariat Working Group for One Health to prevent any type of influenza or any respiratory illness, which is spread from person to person.
Wash your hands frequently
- Wash with soap and water several times a day. Dry your hands after washing.
- There is no substitute for hand washing. But when water is not available, you may use alcohol-based disposable handwipes or gel sanitisers.
Avoid touching eyes, nose or mouth
- Influenza viruses are often spread when a person touches surfaces that are contaminated with germs and then touches his or her eyes, nose or mouth.
Avoid close physical contact
- Avoid close contact with anyone who is ill.
- Temporarily refrain from shaking hands with or kissing other persons while there are reported outbreaks of influenza.
Stay home when you are ill
- If possible, stay at home and avoid crowded places when you are ill. You will help prevent others from catching your illness.
Cover your mouth and nose
- Use a tissue to cover your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing to prevent the spread of the flu virus.
- If you do not have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve, not your hands.
- You may be asked to put on a surgical mask to protect others.
Keep your distance
- When you are ill, keep your distance from others.
Practise good health habits
- Refrain from smoking
- Get enough sleep
- Exercise regularly
- Manage stress levels
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Eat nutritiously
Consult a doctor if you are ill
- Seek medical care when you feel signs of serious illness such as difficulty breathing, confusion or severe vomiting.
Defer travel if you are ill
- If you are feeling sick, you should refrain from boarding aeroplanes or other forms of public transport.
Listen to local health authorities
- Keep yourself updated on any influenza outbreak or other health alerts and warnings.
Send letters to: firstname.lastname@example.org or P.O.鈥圔ox 146, Phnom Penh, Cambodia. The Post reserves the right to edit letters to a shorter length.