Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Forestry chief sues soldiers

Forestry chief sues soldiers

Forestry chief sues soldiers

Three military officers who face charges over a shooting in Siem Reap last October will be sued today by the forestry officials who allege the officers attempted to kill them, the lawyer representing the forestry officials concerned said yesterday.

Kouy Thunna told The Post that he would file two lawsuits at the province’s court today seeking compensation of US$28,500 for attempted murder and violating the legal powers given to forestry officials to do their job.

The three officers are captains Rom Sa Eam and Roeung Sarin and third lieutenant Chhum Chenda, he said. They are based in Banteay Meanchey province with the 5th Military Intervention Sub-Division. They were charged with three crimes by the provincial court in January over a shooting incident involving Sre Noy Commune Forestry Administration chief Thong Sokhay and two of his staff on October 30 last year, according to court documents.

The three were charged with using a weapon without permission, causing damage with intent and threatening forestry officials, the documents state.

The provincial court issued arrest warrants for the three officers on March 3, but they have yet to be arrested or appear for questioning, Kouy Thunna said.

Thong Sokhay said the officers shot at him and two of his staff, Thorn Thy and Sun Sok, after they had seized three cubic metres of luxury wood in Varin district’s Sre Noy commune. The wood was being illegally transported and was intercepted at a checkpoint in Sre Por village.

Thong Sokhay said he was taking the wood back to his office in a vehicle he had confiscated when the three officers overtook him in another car and blocked him from going forward.

“Captain Rom Sa Eam pointed a gun at me and shot three bullets,” Thong Sokhay said. “I was very lucky. The bullets hit the car’s mirrors,” he added.

The officers “wanted to kill me because I confiscated their car and luxury wood”, he said. The officers and their lawyers could not be reached for comment yesterday. General Samrith Samreth, chief of their sub-division, could not be reached for comment.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Government approves plan to relocate Phnom Penh’s airport

    The government has signed off on a proposal to build a new airport to serve Phnom Penh and has earmarked land in Kandal province for the $1.5 billion project. A new international airport to replace the existing Phnom Penh International Airport will be constructed on partially

  • American convicted of raping boy, 10, in Siem Reap

    A 79-year-old American man was sentenced to one year in prison for raping a 10-year-old boy by Siem Reap Provincial Court on Wednesday. John Paul Zollbrecht, of Washington state, was sentenced to one year in prison while a Cambodian man who helped facilitate the abuse, 23

  • Cambodia: From pet project to problem child

    As international condemnation began to pour in earlier this month lambasting the Supreme Court’s decision to dissolve the country’s largest opposition party, ruling party elites were quick to ask: Why us? In an op-ed published by the Khmer Times, ruling Cambodian People’s