Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Four face court in China brides case

Four face court in China brides case

A group of four Cambodian and Chinese nationals were tried yesterday at Phnom Penh Municipal Court for allegedly trafficking two women to China as brides earlier this year.

Chinese men Zu Zhisheng, 39, and Xu Jing Long, 34, are accused of collaborating with Cambodian women Lam Na, 45, and Sok Bora, to recruit young women to go to China as brides in return for $1,500 being paid to their families, said presiding judge Keo Mony.

Na, a coffee seller, and Bora, a garment worker, recruited two other workers, aged 20 and 24.

The four accused have been charged with “selling, buying or exchanging a person for cross-border transfer” and using fake documents.

Zhisheng and Na were arrested with the victims at Phnom Penh airport in February, according to police, with Jing Long and Bora picked up at Sorya Mall soon after.

The four have proclaimed their innocence. They said they found the women jobs in China, and were not trafficking them. The trial will continue on September 15.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Sebastian Strangio

Under the cover of Hun Sen's Cambodia

His book Hun Sen's Cambodia is the first truly comprehensive analysis of a man who has reigned over his country for almost 30 years.

Sambo

Sambo the elephant retires

Celebrity pachyderm to settle down in Mondulkiri elephant sanctuary after decades entertaining.

Fire rips through Psar Chas

A blaze in Phnom Penh's Psar Chas razed a section of the market and damaged up to 70 per cent of its 900 stalls.