Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Four-year-old fraud case back in municipal court

Four-year-old fraud case back in municipal court

Cambodian-American businessman San Richer (center) is led away by prison guards after his hearing at the Appeal Court in 2014.
Cambodian-American businessman San Richer (center) is led away by prison guards after his hearing at the Appeal Court in 2014. Kim Sarom

Four-year-old fraud case back in municipal court

The trial of Cambodian-American businessman San Richer and three others accused of defrauding a local businesswoman out of a $1 million investment in 2012 resumed yesterday at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court.

The complainant, Eng Lykuong, had alleged she invested $1 million in a rice venture called AKRA in return for a position on its board of directors, but was never appointed and never saw her money again.

Apart from Richer, Siv Sichan, a former US ambassador to the UN Economic and Social Council, as well as American businessmen Thomas Willems and William Nojay were named as co-conspirators. Earlier this month, Nojay, who was a New York state assemblyman, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

At yesterday’s hearing, Lykuong produced news clips of Nojay’s death, claiming that his apparent suicide was related to her case. “He had other cases of $2 billion, including the $1 million in Cambodia. The Federal Bureau of Investigation is working on these cases,” she said.

Following his death, American news outlets reported that Nojay was under FBI scrutiny for a $1.3 billion school modernisation program in New York.

Lykuong added that the quartet functioned as an “organised group”, and had planned to defraud her from the onset.

However, a defence lawyer for Richer, Kheng Ly, refuted Lykuong’s allegations, claiming AKRA was still operational as of November 2015 and Lykuong was indeed a board member.

But court prosecutor Che Song maintained there was enough evidence to convict the four men of fraud, with judge Svay Tonh saying the hearing would resume October 20.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all