Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Fourteen charged in casino kidnapping

Fourteen charged in casino kidnapping

Svay Rieng provincial court on Monday charged 14 people with kidnapping and extortion after they allegedly detained more than a dozen people at Chatodi Bavet casino in Chantrea district’s Bavet commune, a Ministry of Interior official said yesterday. Chhay Sinarith, director of the Ministry’s Department of Interior Security, said his department worked with local authorities to raid the casino in Bavet last Saturday, where 14 people were alleged to have been detained. “The suspects lent the victims a little bit of money, but they demanded more in repayment,” he said. Chhay Sinarith added that the suspects attempted to extort money from the victims’ families. Svay Rieng provincial prosecutor Keo Thea declined to comment on the case.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Phnom Penh eats: Homegrown veggies at Bayon Beoung Snor

​Nestled along National Road 1, Bayon Beoung Snor is a farm-cum-restaurant. The team grows their own vegetables, which they then use to whip up traditional Khmer food.

Bill Clough reflects on The Phnom Penh Post's 25 year history

The Post's publisher Bill Clough, under whose leadership the publication went from a fortnightly to a daily one, discusses his investment in Cambodia, his vision for the paper in an increasingly digital age,

People search for their names on the voter lists at a polling station in Kampong Cham’s Veal Vong commune earlier this month.

Four years ago, when the opposition snatched Kampong Cham away from the ruling party in 2013 national elections, it hinted at a deeper shift taking

Comfrel Executive Director Koul Panha speaks to the press at a meeting yesterday in Phnom Penh.

As the National Election Committee launched into the recount proc