Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Frenchman’s sex case reinvestigated

Frenchman’s sex case reinvestigated

Frenchman’s sex case reinvestigated

PREAH Sihanouk provincial court issued a ruling yesterday calling for the reinvestigation in the case of a French national charged with committing indecent acts with three young boys.

Peng Manet, a lawyer from the child rights NGO Action Pour Les Enfants, represented the three alleged victims in the case – boys aged 10, 13 and 14.

She said provincial court judge Plang Samnang had ordered a reinvestigation, declining to comment further.

“This is the court’s decision and I cannot comment beyond that,” she said.

The suspect in the case, 60-year-old Bernard Roland Bouillier, was arrested in March and charged with committing indecent acts. If found guilty, he faces between one and three years in jail.

Tann Mengsroy, a defence lawyer for Bouillier, said the decision to reinvestigate the case had been based on ambiguities in the evidence against his client.

He added that the parties to the case had been summoned to a hearing next week for a re-examination of the evidence.

“I urge the court to proceed with this case soon,” Tann Mengsroy said.

Judge Plang Samnang could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Peng Manet said the families of the victims had requested that the court order compensation payments and the deportation of Bouillier upon the completion of his prison term.

In a February 2007 diplomatic cable from the American embassy in Phnom Penh released last week by WikiLeaks, United States officials worried about the growing popularity of Sihanoukville as a destination for sex tourists.

“Sihanoukville is a growing problem, and one that should concern those RGC [Royal Government of Cambodia] officials who have been adamant that they do not want the growing beach resort town to become another Southeast Asian sex tourism site,” the embassy cable said.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all