Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Friendly bridge raises alarm

Friendly bridge raises alarm

Friendly bridge raises alarm

110909_2
Construction work on a new Chinese-funded bridge over the Tonle Sap river continues in Phnom Penh. Residents affected by the project feel excluded from decisions about their resettlement.

Families who will be relocated to make way for a new Cambodian-Chinese friendship bridge said yesterday they were still being excluded from the process that will decide their resettlement.

Residents of Chroy Changvar commune, in the capital’s Russei Keo district, where more than 200 families are affected by the construction of the bridge, said they had not even been informed of an official meeting to discuss the resettlement process.

Municipal officials yesterday met with representatives from an inter-ministerial committee monitoring the project’s impact on local villagers.

Chan Sopheak, 29, a resident of Doem Kor village, said famil-ies living near the bridge construction site were becoming increasingly alarmed as construction progressed.

“We are very sorry when we overhear that there is a meeting about our houses but the authorities do not invite us to join it,” he said, adding that foundation posts for the bridge were nearly complete and construction on land would begin soon.

Por Chanphal, 39, another resident of Doem Kor village, said that last month, officials had come to count the number of families affected by the project and measure residents’ land plots.

“Those officials told us that they would bring their report to give to the inter-ministerial committee to evaluate to determine a compensation policy for us,” he said.

Meanwhile, residents in Daun Penh district’s Srah Chak commune, on the west bank of the river, said they had refused to comply with an order from district authorities to pull down their homes last month because they had not been offered resettlement options or compensation.

In an August 5 eviction notice, Daun Penh district governor Sok Sambath said he would take measures against “slums” near the construction site and would not be responsible for compensation if villagers did not leave within 15 days. “The district authority ordered us to pull down our homes, but they did not tell us where to relocate to, or [offer] compensation for us after we demolished our homes,” 28-year-old villager Pen Panha said.

Municipal deputy governor Noun Someth said officials were “discussing the issues [with the project] carefully”, but declined to provide further details about the meeting.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Government approves plan to relocate Phnom Penh’s airport

    The government has signed off on a proposal to build a new airport to serve Phnom Penh and has earmarked land in Kandal province for the $1.5 billion project. A new international airport to replace the existing Phnom Penh International Airport will be constructed on partially

  • American convicted of raping boy, 10, in Siem Reap

    A 79-year-old American man was sentenced to one year in prison for raping a 10-year-old boy by Siem Reap Provincial Court on Wednesday. John Paul Zollbrecht, of Washington state, was sentenced to one year in prison while a Cambodian man who helped facilitate the abuse, 23

  • Cambodia: From pet project to problem child

    As international condemnation began to pour in earlier this month lambasting the Supreme Court’s decision to dissolve the country’s largest opposition party, ruling party elites were quick to ask: Why us? In an op-ed published by the Khmer Times, ruling Cambodian People’s