Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Garment workers at Weibo paid final wages

Garment workers at Weibo paid final wages

Workers from the shuttered Turkish-owned Weibo factory at the Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone ended weeks of protests on February 1 after they were finally paid their last month’s salary, although security guards and drivers for the firm are still waiting for their paychecks.

“It’s finished, we paid all the workers,” a Weibo manager confirmed yesterday.

The guards and drivers will be paid after Chinese New Year, he said.

The factory, which ceased operations on January 9, had massive debts and initially failed to pay its workers their December salaries, sparking protests that saw the entrance to PPSEZ blocked several times.

But Weibo sold off its machinery and eventually paid the workers in two installments.

Kem Namhor, the head of the Cambodian Federation Voices of Worker Union, an outside union that aided workers during the dispute, said, however, some staff whose contracts ended in February still needed to be paid “even if they didn’t work.”

He said the union was considering court action.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Bodies of Cambodian peacekeepers returned to Kingdom

The bodies of four Cambodian peacekeepers killed by a Christian militia in Central African Republic were repatriated to the Kingdom and honoured in an airport ceremony on May 21.

Phnom Penh eats: Ptas Nak Battambang

As the name suggests, Ptsa Nak Battambang – which in English means Battambang's house – is the right place for those who want to try some of the province's typical dishes in Phnom Penh.

Defence Minister Tea Banh yesterday said the popular appeal of the Cambodia National Rescue Party’s pledge to substantially boost commune budgets p

Opposition surrogate Kong Korm speaks to supporters at a campaign event on Monday in Prey Veng province in front a CNRP banner bearing the face of ex-party leader Sam Rainsy. Facebook

The National Election Committee has rejected an opposition campaign advertisement from airing on a state-owned television station because it featur