Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Governor called out on Facebook over traffic obstructions

Governor called out on Facebook over traffic obstructions

The entrance to a China Construction Fourth Engineering Division Corp construction site, which was criticised for blocking traffic along Norodom Boulevard in Phnom Penh. NATIONAL POLICE
The entrance to a China Construction Fourth Engineering Division Corp construction site, which was criticised for blocking traffic along Norodom Boulevard in Phnom Penh. National Police

Governor called out on Facebook over traffic obstructions

A National Police post on social media yesterday criticised the Chamkarmon district governor and City Hall, which it accused of getting “benefits” for allowing a Chinese construction firm to store materials on Norodom Boulevard adjacent to a construction site, blocking traffic on the busy thoroughfare in the process.

The post, made to the police’s Facebook page, was accompanied by photographs of construction material strewn along Norodom Boulevard near the Interior Ministry and National Police headquarters, as well as a City Hall letter limiting the entry of construction and cement trucks during peak traffic hours.

The post said China Construction Fourth Engineering Division Corp was causing damage to the road and had not respected a directive from City Hall and the Ministry of Land Management to refrain from putting construction material on city roads.

“For the Chamkarmon governor and Phnom Penh City Hall, it is unknown how much benefit they may have got from the company that they failed to protect the state property, and there is traffic congestion every day,” the post read.

Chamkarmon Governor Prum Samkhan said it was unavoidable to have some of the construction material or trucks on the road adjacent to the site, but that he had asked the Chinese firm on at least two occasions to keep the street orderly.

On the allegations levelled against him, Samkhan said the police were free to accuse him but that he had followed procedures and was conducting his responsibilities without any “benefits”.

“I don’t get any benefits from this. I don’t engage in any benefits. They just make such accusations,” he said.

Similarly, Phnom Penh Deputy Governor Ieng Aunny said the accusations were baseless, and even said that if they were found untrue City Hall could exercise its right to sue.

“And those who make accusations without any evidence, when actually we are doing nothing [wrong], be careful – we can sue them back,” he said.

Ath Bonny, the chief of the National Police’s Public Affairs Department, said the accusations were a mistake by the employee who made the post and, he speculated, should have been in quotations. “We don’t mean to attack these two. It is probably the public’s opinion,” he said.

Following the conversation, the National Police took down the post from their Facebook page.

In May, the National Police took down a report alleging that business tycoon Kith Meng was colluding with loggers to launder timber, saying it had been mistakenly posted by a “tired employee”.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all

  • Ex-RFA journos accuse outlet

    Two former Radio Free Asia journalists held a press conference yesterday claiming they are each owed $28,000 by the US-funded radio broadcaster, which shuttered its in-country operations in September amid a government crackdown on independent media. The journalists, Sok Ratha and Ouk Savborey, maintained they organised