Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Govt seeks Heritage seat

Govt seeks Heritage seat

THE government declared its first candidacy earlier this week for the World Heritage Committee following UNESCO's announcement that elections will take place from October 23-28 in Paris.

Sok An, deputy prime minister and president of the National Commission for UNESCO in Phnom Penh, said: "Within the committee, Cambodia would support the global strategy for a balanced, representative and credible World Heritage List."

Terms of office are usually six years, but Cambodia would voluntarily serve only four years if elected in order to let other state parties be part of the committee, he said at the National Museum on Monday. Meeting once a year, the committee determines World Heritage sites.

"We warmly welcome the Kingdom of Cambodia to a candidacy on the World Heritage Committee for heritage preservation, environmental protection and accommodation of local communities," said Teruo Jinnai, head of the UNESCO office in Phnom Penh.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Khmer Rouge survivors react to First They Killed My Father

Angelina Jolie's First They Killed My Father depicts some of the atrocities committed during the Pol Pot regime. How did watching it feel for those who were alive at the time?

Cambodia's last tile masters: Why a local craft is under threat

Brought over by the French, painted cement tile making has been incorporated into Cambodian design for more than a century, even as the industry has died out in Europe.

Interview: Loung Ung, author of First They Killed My Father

The story of Loung Ung and her family’s suffering under the Khmer Rouge became known around the world with the success of her autobiography.