Sot Kim Yav (above) managed to rescue a sack of possessions before flames engulfed
her wooden house in Stung Meanchey June 9. It's unclear how the fire started, but
it spread quickly. When firefighters arrived, they reportedly demanded money from
residents to turn on their hoses. According to one resident, those who agreed to
pay - in one case $250 - received high-powered support (below); those who didn't
were left to protect their homes on their own (left). No one was injured, but two
homes were completely destroyed.