Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Group 34 residents begin to rebuild, defying governor

Group 34 residents begin to rebuild, defying governor

Group 34 residents begin to rebuild, defying governor

RESIDENTS of Chamkarmon district’s Group 34 community have begun rebuilding homes destroyed by a fire more than a year ago, after receiving no response from the local authorities about a request concerning replacement land on the city’s outskirts.

Community representative Toch Sophan said villagers began building homes earlier this month in order to have shelter during this year’s rainy season.

A suspected arson on April 15 last year destroyed 150 homes and killed a 4-year-old girl in Group 34, a community in Tomnup Toek commune. After the blaze, authorities brokered a deal whereby residents could pay US$100 for replacement land in Dangkor district.

But Horm Noeun, a resident of the community, said villagers don’t trust the local authorities, who have seemingly ignored requests that they be allowed to settle the new land before handing over the $100 payments.

“Now villagers have stopped giving the money to their representatives because they are demanding that they get the land first,” he said.

Toch Sophan said he has received over 10 million riels (US$2,386) in money from villagers, but that there has been no response from the commune chief and municipal authorities as to when they can settle the new land.

“Villagers are waiting for the authorities to relocate them, and agree to give US$100 to [them] when they relocate them to the new site,” he said.
“The government has not allowed us to rebuild the homes, but villagers have no choice. They can’t live under the rain.”

Chor Pheng, the chief of Tomnup Toek commune, said he had already received some money from the villagers, but that authorities need around $200,000 more to purchase 1.5 hectares of replacement land in Dangkor district for 288 families from Group 34.

“We have only $40,000 from generous people. We need more money,” he said. He added that constructing new buildings on the current land was forbidden, and that the villagers “have to relocate to the new site”.

Phnom Penh Deputy Governor Mann Chhoeun declined to comment on the case beyond saying that the villagers need to “save money and reduce their gambling” if they want to receive land. He referred further questions to Chamkarmon district governor Lo Yuy, who could not be reached Sunday.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Government approves plan to relocate Phnom Penh’s airport

    The government has signed off on a proposal to build a new airport to serve Phnom Penh and has earmarked land in Kandal province for the $1.5 billion project. A new international airport to replace the existing Phnom Penh International Airport will be constructed on partially

  • American convicted of raping boy, 10, in Siem Reap

    A 79-year-old American man was sentenced to one year in prison for raping a 10-year-old boy by Siem Reap Provincial Court on Wednesday. John Paul Zollbrecht, of Washington state, was sentenced to one year in prison while a Cambodian man who helped facilitate the abuse, 23

  • PM derides talk of government affairs, hinting phone records could reveal all

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday night told Cambodia’s starlets to either name their high-profile government lovers or keep quiet, telling a room full of journalists he did not want to be tarred with the same brush. Addressing more than 3,400 people at the second