Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Health scare: Skin cream use puts teen in hospital

Health scare: Skin cream use puts teen in hospital

Health scare
A teenager was rushed to Kratie provincial hospital yesterday after the application of a skin-whitening cream left her unconscious, officials said, an incident that nearly became the second reported death in the Kingdom this year from such a beauty product.

Sambor commune chief Touch Samboeum said that 19-year-old Treas Terang began vomiting and convulsing immediately after applying the cream, which she had bought from a local market.

“She is lucky, because her family sent her immediately to the hospital for help. She is staying there now for additional monitoring,” he said.

The commune chief was unable to confirm whether the cream used by the victim was the Vietnamese brand Kim Lot Lanh Thom Cao Cap, which was banned from the Kingdom last year after its connection to the death of a 23-year-old in Banteay Meanchey province.

“It is very important for people to learn and be careful before using skin-whitening creams in order to avoid adverse effects to their health,” he said.

Bun Chhoeun said that Treas Terang would be released from the hospital after a few more days. 

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Khmer New Year games: it’s never too late to try them out

Even though games such as “Fight for the leaf” or “Hide the towel” are traditionally played during the Khmer New Year holidays

Khmer New Year getaway: Ghost Island

One of 23 islands in the sea of Koh Kong, Koh Kmoch (Ghost Island) has a wealth of corals and other sealife visible through its crystal clear water.

ACLEDA’s boss on how tech is changing financial services

In today’s world of fast-changing technology, Cambodia is seeing increasing innovation in financial services.