Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Heng Pov asks for fast appeal

Heng Pov asks for fast appeal

Former Phnom Penh Municipal Police Chief Heng Pov taken yesterday to Supreme Court in a police vehicle (black).
Former Phnom Penh Municipal Police Chief Heng Pov taken yesterday to Supreme Court in a police vehicle (black). Hong Menea

Heng Pov asks for fast appeal

Disgraced former Phnom Penh Municipal Police Chief Heng Pov yesterday called for a speedy appeal trial before the Supreme Court in two of his cases – which relate to the possession of fake currency and to the illegal detention of a suspect – despite lamenting that he wasn’t able to hire his own lawyer as his assets had been frozen.

Pov, 60, had previously asked the court to delay the trial, claiming he could not trust the assigned lawyer and saying he should instead be allowed to pay a lawyer with his frozen assets.

“But the court keeps rejecting the request . . . If I had the money to hire a lawyer, the lawyer would put all efforts to work for me,” he said.

Among a handful of convictions handed to the former police chief, the charges resulted in a 14-year sentence for the possession of fake US currency and five years for illegal detention, after he locked up an alleged thief even after a court had dismissed his case. In total, Pov has been sentenced to 103 years.

He repeated his earlier claims yesterday that Lieutenant General Mok Chito, the deputy National Police chief, had framed him by planting counterfeit money during a 2006 raid of his house, and that Chito had been responsible for kidnapping.

“No one would leave money outside the house even though the money is fake – they would keep it inside the house,” he said, referring to where the counterfeit bills had been discovered.

Chito yesterday denied Pov’s accusations.

Nou Chantha, Pov’s defence lawyer, argued that his client had not possessed fake money as charged, and that it should have been examined by a bank, not by the Interior Ministry. He added that the second raid on the house following his arrest had been illegal as the police didn’t have a search warrant.

“I would like to ask the court to free my client,” he said. A verdict is due September 27.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all

  • Ex-RFA journos accuse outlet

    Two former Radio Free Asia journalists held a press conference yesterday claiming they are each owed $28,000 by the US-funded radio broadcaster, which shuttered its in-country operations in September amid a government crackdown on independent media. The journalists, Sok Ratha and Ouk Savborey, maintained they organised