Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Homeowners petition ADB

Homeowners petition ADB

Homeowners petition ADB

4 an abandoned rail carriage

The occupants of 90 Phnom Penh households whose homes were partially or completely dismantled to make way for the Railway Rehabilitation Project partly funded by the ADB have demanded the bank offer them fair compensation.

In a letter submitted to the Inter-Ministerial Resettlement Committee, the ADB, the National Assembly and the Ministry of Economy and Finance yesterday, the villagers argued they had been unfairly locked out of compensation due to technicalities despite valid claims.

Luy Im, a representative of 23 complainants from Toul Sangke A, said she received only $100 in compensation after the front of her house was destroyed in 2011 to accommodate the works.

“I need more compensation, but I don’t know how much. I spent a lot of money to repair my house since the front of my house was demolished when they expanded the railway,” she said.

Im said she went into significant debt making the repairs.

The complainants, who include six households from Phum III and 65 from Tapeang Anhchanh, want the IRC to intervene because their compensation requests through one avenue of the ADB’s accountability mechanism have been rejected on the grounds that they were accepted via another.

In other words, receiving limited compensation disqualified them from the larger sums other households have received.

It was unreasonable to expect that villagers could be aware of such complex technicalities, said Nora Lindstrom, program development manager at NGO Sahmakum Teang Tnaut.

“That raises the question of how are the villagers ever going to do this, how are they meant to know this type of stuff?” she said.

ADB country director Eric Sidgwick said in an email that the bank’s Compliance Review Panel was “reviewing resettlement issues including those related to compensation”.

“In the meantime, the households represented in the three letters received today have been advised to present their complaints through the Project’s Grievance Redress Mechanism,” he wrote.

“The OSPF has informed the IRC of the nature of the complaints and recommended that they review them in a similar fashion as was done in the earlier OSPF process.”

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all