Subscribe Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - HRW urges withdrawal from refugee deal

HRW urges withdrawal from refugee deal

Refugees hold signs during a protest against the Australia-Cambodia refugee deal last year on Nauru
Refugees hold signs during a protest against the Australia-Cambodia refugee deal last year on Nauru. PHOTO SUPPLIED

HRW urges withdrawal from refugee deal

Ahead of the likely arrival of the first group of refugees from Nauru under Cambodia’s agreement with Australia, Human Rights Watch yesterday called on Canberra to withdraw from the planned resettlement scheme.

“The Australian government is trying to pay Cambodia to take some refugees off its hands and its conscience,” said Elaine Pearson, Australia director at HRW. “This isn’t a solution, but rather a business deal at the expense of some very vulnerable people.”

Four refugees have so far applied for the resettlement scheme – three Iranians, and one Rohingya from Myanmar – but officials in Phnom Penh have not yet approved their resettlement, Interior Minister Sar Kheng said yesterday.

It had not yet been determined whether the applicants were “legal”, he said, because it was not clear whether they had already received positive asylum assessments from Australia’s Immigration Department.

Prior to the applications for resettlement from four refugees, Australian immigration officials tried to tempt some to move by distributing a letter on Nauru that misrepresented life in Cambodia, which critics said smacked of desperation.

Refugee advocates have said the four’s claims were “fast-tracked” after they showed an interest in taking up the Australian government’s offer of cash and other benefits for being the first to relocate, in apparent contravention of the agreement between the two governments.

“This is just our initial information; we have not yet made a decision. There are four refugees that have applied, but we are still assessing whether or not it is legal, so we cannot make any announcement as we have not decided yet,” Kheng said.

Representatives of Australian Immigration Minister Peter Dutton did not respond to a request for comment.

A charter flight is expected to be scheduled to fly the refugees from the Pacific island of Nauru, where they have been held in an Australian-funded detention centre, in the coming weeks.

“Australia has already offered what is effectively a bribe to Cambodia to take refugees, and now there are reports that it is effectively doing the same with desperate asylum seekers in Nauru,” Pearson said. “This would be the Abbott government’s latest attempt to offload all responsibility for people who have fled war, ethnic cleansing, and atrocities.”

ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY DANIEL PYE

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Thy Sovantha threatens new suit

    Social media celebrity and card-carrying CPP member Thy Sovantha yesterday said she will file a lawsuit against wildlife NGO head Suwanna Gauntlett alleging discrimination after the latter allegedly denied her access to an ecotourism program the group is launching today in Koh Kong province. The

  • Police raid Siem Reap party, arrest 10 foreigners over ‘pornographic’ images

    A group of 10 foreign tourists appeared in court today after being arrested for producing “pornographic” photos in Siem Reap town on Thursday, while dozens more were detained temporarily and let go after being lectured on their behaviour, according to authorities. A report posted to the

  • Hun Sen’s in-law removed from RCAF after cockfighting rings raided

    Thai Phany, the nephew-in-law of Prime Minister Hun Sen who is accused of running two large cockfighting rings, has been removed as a general in the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces. Phany, formerly a one-star brigadier general, was removed by royal decree on December 19, according to

  • Government approves plan to relocate Phnom Penh’s airport

    The government has signed off on a proposal to build a new airport to serve Phnom Penh and has earmarked land in Kandal province for the $1.5 billion project. A new international airport to replace the existing Phnom Penh International Airport will be constructed on partially