Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Human trafficking memorandum meeting cancelled

Human trafficking memorandum meeting cancelled

Protracted negotiations for a memorandum of understanding between Cambodia and Malaysia to counter human trafficking hit another hurdle yesterday with the last-minute cancellation of two-day talks between the governments.

Confused attendees were greeted at the lobby of the Phnom Penh Hotel by a staff member who denied such a meeting would be held there.

San Arun, Secretary of State for the Ministry of Women’s Affairs said a Malaysian embassy official had told her at 3pm the previous day they had to pull out of the meeting because two of four technical experts in their delegation could not make the trip.

“It seems like they were ready, but then at the last minute, this happened. I still believe we can work together in a positive manner,” she said, adding that the two governments would probably have to postpone the meeting until September.

Raja Saifful Ridzuwan, deputy chief of mission at the Malaysian embassy in Phnom Penh, said the postponement was due to a minor administrative matter in Malaysia.

“The postponement will not have any bearing on our commitment to get this MoU ready, and I hope we can sign the agreement soon,” he said.

In October, Prime Minister Hun Sen announced a moratorium on sending maids to Malaysia amid a spate of abuse and exploitation scandals that included allegations of forced detention, under-age recruitment, withholding of pay and brutal treatment by employers.

Moeun Tola, head of the labour program at the Community Legal Education Centre, said he was disappointed the MoU had again been delayed while Cambodian maids that had remained in Malaysia after the moratorium still faced severe abuses.

“The death cases are still happening . . . so we don’t understand why the Malaysian government doesn’t take any concrete action to combat violations and exploitation,” he said.

Tola called for the public release of the draft MoU so civil society could have input.

San Arun said the draft MoU remained a confidential document being negotiated by the two governments.

To contact the reporter on this story: David Boyle at david.boyle@phnompenhpost.com

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Phnom Penh eats: Homegrown veggies at Bayon Beoung Snor

​Nestled along National Road 1, Bayon Beoung Snor is a farm-cum-restaurant. The team grows their own vegetables, which they then use to whip up traditional Khmer food.

Bill Clough reflects on The Phnom Penh Post's 25 year history

The Post's publisher Bill Clough, under whose leadership the publication went from a fortnightly to a daily one, discusses his investment in Cambodia, his vision for the paper in an increasingly digital age,

NEC officials tally votes during a recount last week in Phnom Penh.

Cambodia’s National Election Committee last week rejected 33 of 61 complaints filed over the conduct of June 4’s commune election, according to a s

People search for their names on the voter lists at a polling station in Kampong Cham’s Veal Vong commune earlier this month.

Four years ago, when the opposition snatched Kampong Cham away from the ruling party in 2013 national elections, it hinted at a deeper shift taking