Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Indonesian earthquake death toll surpasses 1,500

Indonesian earthquake death toll surpasses 1,500

Indonesian earthquake death toll surpasses 1,500

MAUMERE, Indonesia (AP) - Thousands of homeless families stretched tarps between

trees to create makeshift shelters near their destroyed houses last month as the

estimated death toll from a powerful earthquake here Dec. 12 rose above 1,500.

Officials said at least 1,584 people died, many of them in Maumere, on the Indonesian

island of Flores, and on two small islands that were swept by seismic waves triggered

by the quake.

A government spokesman said 25-meter seismic waves, called tsunami, virtually wiped

out fishing villages on the two islands.

Jose Mongi, a survivor from one of the islands, Pulau Bali, said 900 people there

were feared dead.

"We could not flee to the island of Flores by boat because of the big waves

coming at us, but we also could not run to the mountain for fear of landslides caused

by the quake," he said.

More than 200 bodies washed ashore in Lanatutu village in eastern Flores.

Hundreds of injured were being treated outdoors as hospitals and clinics overflowed.

At one hospital, 57 of 180 people who were admitted had died as of Dec. 14.

Officials warned residents of this coastal town of 40,000 people not to re-enter

their homes because of unsafe conditions.

The quake measured 6.8 on the Richter scale, according to Indonesian officials.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Government approves plan to relocate Phnom Penh’s airport

    The government has signed off on a proposal to build a new airport to serve Phnom Penh and has earmarked land in Kandal province for the $1.5 billion project. A new international airport to replace the existing Phnom Penh International Airport will be constructed on partially

  • American convicted of raping boy, 10, in Siem Reap

    A 79-year-old American man was sentenced to one year in prison for raping a 10-year-old boy by Siem Reap Provincial Court on Wednesday. John Paul Zollbrecht, of Washington state, was sentenced to one year in prison while a Cambodian man who helped facilitate the abuse, 23

  • Cambodia: From pet project to problem child

    As international condemnation began to pour in earlier this month lambasting the Supreme Court’s decision to dissolve the country’s largest opposition party, ruling party elites were quick to ask: Why us? In an op-ed published by the Khmer Times, ruling Cambodian People’s