Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Investigation continues over fireworks blast

Investigation continues over fireworks blast

Last week’s fireworks explosion at a Kampong Chhang pagoda, which claimed the life of a 6-year-old girl and injured another 12 villagers, has been followed by plenty of finger pointing but no arrests, provincial authorities said yesterday.

Prosecutor Penh Vibol said that the three owners of the fireworks as well as the chief abbot of the Rolea Ba’ier district pagoda have been released after questioning pending further investigation.

“We will continue to investigate, because the owner of the fireworks and the chief abbot have accused each other, and the police report was not enough.

I will summon them to the court again when we get enough evidence,” he said. On Tuesday, about 200 fireworks kept in a mini tractor at Svay Chrum commune’s Ang Metrei pagoda exploded during a ceremony to celebrate the end of rainy season.

To contact the reporter on this story: Mom Kunthear at kunthear.mom@phnompenhpost.com

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Turkish Embassy calls for closure of Zaman schools

With an attempted coup against the government of President Recep Erdogan quashed only days ago and more than 7,000 alleged conspirators now under arrest, the Turkish ambassador to Cambodia yesterday pressed the govern

CNRP lawmakers beaten

Two opposition lawmakers, Nhay Chamroeun and Kong Sakphea were beaten unconscious during protests in Phnom Penh, as over a thousand protesters descended upon the National Assembly.

Student authors discuss "The Cambodian Economy"

Student authors discuss "The Cambodian Economy"

Students at Phnom Penh's Liger Learning Center have written and published a new book, "The Cambodian Economy".