Extended investigations into atrocities allegedly committed during border battles between Cambodia and Vietnam may not proceed, court sources have told the Post.
Australian newspaper The Age reported on Sunday that international reserve co-investigating judge Laurent Kasper-Ansermet had issued an order requesting the prosecution include additional criminal acts and crime sites within the scope of government-opposed Case 003 investigations.
National Assembly president Heng Samrin, senate president Chea Sim, the head of Cambodia’s army Pol Sareoun and senator Ouk Buncchoun are specifically named as instrumental witnesses in the extended investigations, which the prosecution has not agreed to, according to a source close to the court.
International co-prosecutor Andrew Cayley told the Post yesterday he would not comment about matters relating to the forwarding order.
“I cannot publicly address confidential matters and you will recall the PTC’s criticism of me last year in respect of Case 003 where all I was doing was trying to ensure that the civil parties could exercise their legal rights,” Cayley said by email.
He added: “That decision now articulates the very narrow legal framework on my rights of public dissemination under the rules.”
Until the confidence on the document is lifted, the British prosecutor said he was obliged by law not to publicly talk about the matter.
The defence team for Brother No 2 Nuon Chea has filed a request for this confidence to be lifted, as they have long sought the testimony of senior ruling Cambodian People’s Party officials in connection with the case against their client.
To contact the reporter on this story: Bridget Di Certo at email@example.com