Statement of King Norodom Sihanouk King of Cambodia
In my name and in the name of the Royal Cambodia Family, I have the honor to formally
- 1) We are not forming and we will never form a group of anti-Hun Sen or
2) We have no intention, no desire to contravene in any way the current Constitution
of the Kingdom of Cambodia.
3) My son, Samdech Krom Preah NORODOM RANARIDDH and his FUNCINPEC have no
intention or desire to quit the present Royal Khmer Government of the present National
Assembly of the Kingdom of Cambodia.
4) I have no intention to enter into the political arena to ask, by a popular
vote, for governmental power.
I said, to a Parisian newspaper, that in 1993 (and not in 1996), I had asked that
(in May 1993) presidential elections by universal, direct and secret ballot be organized.
In 1993 (and not in 1996) I wanted to be one of the candidates for the President
of the State of Cambodia which, in my mind, should have been a system similar to
the Fifth French Republic. But, in August 1993, it was unanimously decided to favor
a Constitutional Monarchy instead of a Cambodian Republic "like the Fifth French
5) Neither myself, nor His Royal Higness Samdech Krom Preah NORODOM RANARIDDH
nor his FUNCINPEC are with His Excellency SAM RAINSY or his kind. We (the Royal Family)
have much esteem for His Excellency Samdech HUN SEN and the CPP. We are not and will
not be responsible for anti-HUN SEN, anti-CPP, anti-RGC demonstrations.
6) I deplore the hostility and injustice of the pro-HUN SEN and pro-CPP
press toward myself.
Paris, 27 April, 1996
Unofficial translation from the French.