Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - KR leader withdraws appeal for bail request

KR leader withdraws appeal for bail request

LAWYERS for former Khmer Rouge head of state Khieu Samphan have withdrawn their appeal against their client's pretrial detention, citing  ongoing delays of the UN-backed court's judicial proceedings.

Lawyers Sa Sovan and Jacques Verges, who appealed their client's detention after his arrest last November, said that they could not wait for the pretrial chamber to make a ruling.

"We have been waiting a year," Sa Sovan told the Post Sunday. "We cannot wait until the court starts; they have not yet set up a schedule."

The legal team, which gained attention for demanding 16,000 pages of court documents be translated into French in March, said that they would stand by their translation request.

Pretrial chamber slow

Court spokesman Reach Sambath confirmed the withdrawal of the bail request Sunday and said the pretrial chamber had agreed to it.

The tribunal recently confirmed that the first trial, that of S-21 prison chief Kaing Guek Eav, who is also known as Duch, would be delayed until next year.

Sa Sovan said that because the pretrial chamber had five judges, it is hard for them to make a decision. "We will now turn our request to the co-investigating judges," he said.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Explore the durian and rubber farms of Kampong Cham

Take a drive north of Kampong Cham, past the dirt roads and the dense greenery.

Kem Sokha talks politics, power and Hun Sen

Kem Sokha, leader of the Cambodia National Rescue Party, sat down with The Post’s Alex Willemyns and Mech Dara to discuss his supporters’ initial disappointment with this year’s

The final results from the National Election Committee for the June 4 commune elections show the Cambodian People’s Party taking 1,156 communes to

NEC officials tally votes during a recount last week in Phnom Penh.

Cambodia’s National Election Committee last week rejected 33 of 61 complaints filed over the conduct of June 4’s commune election, according to a s