Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Laos returns remains

Laos returns remains

LAOTIAN authorities have repatriated the remains of a 27-year-old Cambodian man who was shot and killed last week in Champasak province during an altercation with Laotian soldiers, officials and rights workers said Wednesday.

Officials say the dead man crossed into Laos from Cambodia’s Stung Treng province with six friends, all of whom were from Kampong Chhnang province.

Stung Treng provincial Governor Loy Sophat said Sunday that the men, carrying illegal drugs and weapons, confronted a group of Laotian soldiers and began chasing them before one of the soldiers shot and killed 27-year-old Praing Sokha.

Two men from the group were arrested by Laotian authorities and are being held pending negotiations between Cambodian and Laotian officials, Stung Treng deputy police chief Phiv Vondeoun said.

Hou Sam Ol, Stung Treng provincial monitor for the rights group Adhoc, said Praing Sokha’s body was returned on Saturday and was cremated near the border.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Phnom Penh eats: Homegrown veggies at Bayon Beoung Snor

​Nestled along National Road 1, Bayon Beoung Snor is a farm-cum-restaurant. The team grows their own vegetables, which they then use to whip up traditional Khmer food.

Bill Clough reflects on The Phnom Penh Post's 25 year history

The Post's publisher Bill Clough, under whose leadership the publication went from a fortnightly to a daily one, discusses his investment in Cambodia, his vision for the paper in an increasingly digital age,

People search for their names on the voter lists at a polling station in Kampong Cham’s Veal Vong commune earlier this month.

Four years ago, when the opposition snatched Kampong Cham away from the ruling party in 2013 national elections, it hinted at a deeper shift taking

Comfrel Executive Director Koul Panha speaks to the press at a meeting yesterday in Phnom Penh.

As the National Election Committee launched into the recount proc