The new lawyer of tycoon Thong Sarath, who was charged in absentia for the public shooting of another businessman last month, has sent a letter on Friday to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court questioning the suspects’ confessions.
In the letter, lawyer Kea Eav urged the court to re-examine the confessions made by Sarath’s four bodyguards that allegedly confirmed the tycoon’s role in masterminding the hit on businessman Ung Meng Cheu.
“The court should do primary investigation over the confession done by the bodyguards,” Eav said. “They should compare the answer to the evidence and the facts. We should look at the confession again, not just listen and agree with everything.”
The bodyguards have been charged with the “intentional murder of Cheu”. Local and international police continue to search for Sarath, who posted a video on YouTube professing his innocence on Friday.
“Once we arrest him, we will inform the public,” National Military Police spokesman Kheng Tito said.