Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Lightning hits twice as many

Lightning hits twice as many

Lightning hits twice as many

The number of people killed or injured by lightning strikes so far this year is almost double the number last year, according to the National Committee for Disaster Management.

Keo Vy, chief of Cabinet at the National Committee for Disaster Management, told the Post yesterday that “165 people were killed and 139 were injured by lightning in 2011”. Sixty cattle were killed and four houses were also destroyed, he added.

Last year, 114 people were killed by lightning and 58 injured, according to the NCDM.

Most lightning strikes occurred in plateau areas of Battambang, Pursat, Kampong Cham, Takeo and Prey Veng provinces, Keo Vy said.

Most Cambodians cannot afford lightning rods, but researchers at the Royal Academy in Phnom Penh were studying how to make inexpensive lightning rods, he said, adding they were unsure when they would be able to produce them.

“We are constantly educating people about how to avoid lightning. We tell them not to stay outside during a storm, turn off mobile phones and radio and stay away from tall trees, electricity poles and metal objects,” Keo Vy said.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Government approves plan to relocate Phnom Penh’s airport

    The government has signed off on a proposal to build a new airport to serve Phnom Penh and has earmarked land in Kandal province for the $1.5 billion project. A new international airport to replace the existing Phnom Penh International Airport will be constructed on partially

  • American convicted of raping boy, 10, in Siem Reap

    A 79-year-old American man was sentenced to one year in prison for raping a 10-year-old boy by Siem Reap Provincial Court on Wednesday. John Paul Zollbrecht, of Washington state, was sentenced to one year in prison while a Cambodian man who helped facilitate the abuse, 23

  • PM derides talk of government affairs, hinting phone records could reveal all

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday night told Cambodia’s starlets to either name their high-profile government lovers or keep quiet, telling a room full of journalists he did not want to be tarred with the same brush. Addressing more than 3,400 people at the second