Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Locked-out toy makers left in lurch over wages

Locked-out toy makers left in lurch over wages

Locked-out toy makers left in lurch over wages

120927_02a

Employees of the First & Main plush toy manufacturer exit the company’s factory after learning of its closure earlier this month. Photograph: Vireak Mai/Phnom Penh Post

Employees at the First & Main cuddly-toy company arrived at work yesterday expecting to be paid outstanding wages – instead, a notice on the gates told them all equipment inside the Phnom Penh factory would be auctioned off, because the company was closing for good.

The Ministry of Social Affairs’ strike and demonstration resolution committee, which issued the notice, said Brad Holes, American co-owner of the firm, had decided to close his Sen Sok district factory, with orders to his Cambodian accountant to sell the equipment.

“The committee will pay the workers what they are owed once this property has been sold,” the notice states.

The teddy bear company closed its doors on August 26, amid rumours it was on the verge of financial collapse.

Its 357 workers were told to return on September 10 for a meeting with management about their future and to be paid wages for August.

Workers have claimed they found no sign of their bosses on that date and milled about peacefully, while Holes has said a management representative was barricaded inside the building, fearing for her life, as a mob trashed the factory and destroyed CCTV footage.

One thing not in dispute is that Holes promised on September 13 he would pay workers their outstanding wages in two instalments, the second of which was due this week.

Yesterday, workers’ representative Mech Mom said the Ministry of Social Affairs told her Holes had agreed to pay workers once the equipment is sold.

“We’ve agreed to that, so we have to wait another week,” she said. “[But] we need our wages right now.”

Ke Sok Sidney, from the resolution committee, said he would investigate how much equipment was lost during the alleged trashing.

“We will ask the security guard to pay for the loss of equipment,” he said.

Dave Welsh, American Center for International Labor Solidarity country manager, said that under Cambodian bankruptcy law, workers owed money had the first claim to company equipment that went under the hammer.

“It’s tough luck for the creditors, but that’s the way it is,” he said.

To contact the reporters on this story: Mom Kunthear at [email protected]
Shane Worrell at [email protected]

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all