Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Man fronts court over Pheap row

Man fronts court over Pheap row

Man fronts court over Pheap row

A man facing defamation charges was questioned in Kandal Provincial Court yesterday following his comments in a report that alleged tycoon Try Pheap was illegally logging.

San Sen was quoted in a Cambodian Human Rights Task Force (CHRTF) report last month that implicated the tycoon in illegal logging in Kandal.

Sen said he was questioned for almost an hour in court about his comments.

“They asked me many questions, but I said in the report that tycoon Try Pheap’s wealth is owed to his involvement in the timber business, and I always see his cars transporting timber,” he said.

The CHRTF report also said that Pheap’s company, Try Pheap Import Export, had received 70,000 hectares of economic land concessions from the Cambodian government.

Ouch Leng, director of CHRTF, said: “Try Pheap’s companies are annihilating Cambodian forests.”

Pheap and his companies’ representatives could not be reached yesterday.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all

  • Ex-RFA journos accuse outlet

    Two former Radio Free Asia journalists held a press conference yesterday claiming they are each owed $28,000 by the US-funded radio broadcaster, which shuttered its in-country operations in September amid a government crackdown on independent media. The journalists, Sok Ratha and Ouk Savborey, maintained they organised