The 14-year-old Ratanakkiri boy allegedly beaten by DM Group workers earlier this month while intervening in a land scuffle returned to Phnom Penh on Tuesday, his family said yesterday.
Ry Soklin’s father, Ry Sarun, told the Post that his family spent $3,200 on medical care in Vietnam for their son, who was receiving treatment there for critical head injuries.
“My family does not have any more money, so we decided to bring him back, although his condition was not so good,” he said, adding that his son’s behaviour has changed, and he experiences bouts of dizziness and headaches.
“They got rid of the blood clot in his brain, and he did not receive head surgery, but he still has serious head wounds,” he said.
The family has filed a complaint to the provincial court, demanding $40,000 in compensation from DM Group, and have unsuccessfully tried to obtain a loan using their land title as collateral.
Adhoc provincial co-ordinator Chhay Thy said yesterday that his organisation and the UN country office will donate money to the family.