Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mining site accident kills one, injures one in Mondulkiri

Mining site accident kills one, injures one in Mondulkiri

A survivor of a mine collapse in Mondulkiri receives treatment yesterday. Photo supplied
A survivor of a mine collapse in Mondulkiri receives treatment yesterday. Photo supplied

Mining site accident kills one, injures one in Mondulkiri

An accident at a Mondulkiri mine that only last year obtained one of the Kingdom’s first community mining licences has left one man dead and another seriously injured.

According to a Mines and Energy Ministry spokesman, a pulley rope hauling a bucket of debris up an 8-metre mineshaft snapped yesterday, dropping its load on Lim San, 21, and En Nay, 31, killing San. Both hail from Tbong Khmum province.

The shaft, located in Poutong village in the Prey Meas forest, is owned by Lim San’s uncle, Heng Sambath, 41.

“The dead victim is my nephew who lived with me since he was young. I am very sorry for the incident since he is my own nephew,” Sambath said.

For many years, the shaft, along with many like it in the area, operated illegally. Last year, the Ministry of Mines and Energy advised the miners to apply for a community mining licence.

Ministry spokesman Meng Saktheara said that, based on preliminary reports, it appears the accident was the result of negligence on the part of Sambath.

Saktheara explained that safety regulations demand that the digging and transportation of material take place in separate locations. Sambath’s shaft, he said, had both activities taking place on the same spot.

“The big mistake is that the digging and transporting site is the same; they should not be with each other like that. Therefore, it caused death,” he said.

“The second mistake is that the instruments were not checked and the pulley may have been overloaded. The owner did not check the safety standards.”

Sambath denies the rope broke, claiming instead that a single stone fell into the shaft.

The owner was questioned by police at the site, but was not arrested. His site and others in the area have been temporarily closed following the incident.

San Darith, provincial director of the mines and energy department, said yesterday that 43 families hold licences for gold mining businesses in the area.

Following the accident, he said his officers plan to inspect safety standards at the mineshafts on Sunday.

Ministry spokesman Saktheara warned that the ministry will take tough measures, promising to cancel the licences of any owners found in violation of safety regulations.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all