Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Minister says CNRP protests ‘crossed line’

Cambodia National Rescue Party supporters demonstrate at Phnom Penh’s Freedom Park
Cambodia National Rescue Party supporters demonstrate at Phnom Penh’s Freedom Park in December last year. Hong Menea

Minister says CNRP protests ‘crossed line’

Minister of Information Khieu Kanharith launched a broadside against the opposition yesterday, accusing it of trying to derail Cambodia’s economy, social stability and relationships with the international community by boycotting parliament and protesting in the streets.

Using the Ministry of Information’s annual media meeting as his platform, Kanharith claimed the Cambodia National Rescue Party had incited chaos in the capital during protests and worker strikes during December and January.

The CNRP’s actions, he added, had led to the destruction of property, including factories, houses and vehicles. “These are all actions that cross the line of democracy,” he said. “Already, we have seen scenes of anarchy in which the authorities needed to intercept to ensure the safety of the people in the capital.”

Such “interception”, however, resulted in security forces shooting dead at least four people during clashes in the capital’s Por Sen Chey district on January 3, an act that drew widespread condemnation but no consequences for those who pulled the triggers.

CNRP spokesman Yim Sovann said yesterday he was not interested in Kanharith’s statement, saying people were clever enough to make up their own minds about what was happening.

“Cambodians understand about problems that are occurring across the country,” he said. “They are losing their land, natural resources and there is illegal immigration. They want to protect and save their country from these problems and also want to change the leader.”

The opposition has boycotted the National Assembly since September in protest against mass “irregularities” at last July’s national election. Government security forces have been responsible for at least six deaths since September, while the opposition has been regularly accused of stirring up tensions by employing anti-Vietnamese rhetoric in public speeches.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Google Angkor

Google's 3D Angkor online

Drawing on over one million photos, Google has taken the Angkor Wat temple complex into the digital realm, allowing anyone with internet access to enjoy 360-degree panoramic views of 100 of the ancient temples.

97' grenade attack commemoration

Back in the streets

Thousands of CNRP supporters march through Phnom Penh

This month 20 years ago...

1994-04-08 07:00
Inchcape wins airport contract
1994-03-25 07:00
'Forgotten 45' rot for 10 years
1994-03-25 07:00
Aids warning issued
1994-03-25 07:00
Cambodian ex-pats play major role
1994-03-25 07:00
Backpackers in nightmare on Siem Reap express boat
1994-03-25 07:00
Premier sells stake