Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - More called to testify in logging case

More called to testify in logging case

More called to testify in logging case

NINE members of a conservation NGO based in Kampong Speu province have been summoned to the provincial court on suspicion of illegal logging, and one of them was questioned yesterday, the group’s director said.

Chea Hean, director of the National Resource and Wildlife Preservation Organisation, said last week that he had been summoned in response to a complaint from Chhun Chhea Heng, the head of the Oral Mountain Animal Refuge. He said yesterday that additional summonses had been issued for eight of his workers in response to the same complaint.

The complaint from Chhun Chea Heng, Chea Hean said, accuses the NGO members of illegal logging and extortion.

Chhun Chea Heng is one of 241 officials accused by Chea Hean of turning a blind eye to illegal logging in Kampong Speu. All 241 officials were named in a complaint submitted by Chea Hean to the government’s newly established Anticorruption Unit on August 30.

Neither Chhun Chea Heng nor Om Yienteng, the head of the ACU, could be reached for comment yesterday. Iv Borin, the Kampong Speu provincial court judge identified by Chea Hean as handling the questioning of all nine members of his organisation, declined to comment on the case.

Chea Hean said yesterday that he was not afraid to respond to his summons – which calls for him to appear at the court on Wednesday – but that his staffers were rattled by the prospect of being detained following their appearances at the court.

“I am not afraid, but my staff is scared,” he said. “I have already made a promise before the court. If I have logged illegally in Oral district then I would like to hand myself over to the court and be sentenced to the death penalty.”

Loas Veth, the NGO staffer who appeared for questioning at the court yesterday, said he had been accused of illegal logging, wearing a fake uniform and extortion. He was released after the session was completed.

“I have some concerns, but I believe I am not guilty of anything so the court will give me justice,” he said.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Government approves plan to relocate Phnom Penh’s airport

    The government has signed off on a proposal to build a new airport to serve Phnom Penh and has earmarked land in Kandal province for the $1.5 billion project. A new international airport to replace the existing Phnom Penh International Airport will be constructed on partially

  • American convicted of raping boy, 10, in Siem Reap

    A 79-year-old American man was sentenced to one year in prison for raping a 10-year-old boy by Siem Reap Provincial Court on Wednesday. John Paul Zollbrecht, of Washington state, was sentenced to one year in prison while a Cambodian man who helped facilitate the abuse, 23

  • Cambodia: From pet project to problem child

    As international condemnation began to pour in earlier this month lambasting the Supreme Court’s decision to dissolve the country’s largest opposition party, ruling party elites were quick to ask: Why us? In an op-ed published by the Khmer Times, ruling Cambodian People’s